DPS License Turnaround

What's the typical turnaround time for a new Tx. DPS license at present?  As long as one is eligible I'm not sure I understand why so many employers appear to insist that it be in place along with DEA if both can be obtained within approximately one month, which I assume is an average termination notice for a PA (if changing positions).  I'm also not sure why one can't obtain the license ahead of time, if already licensed to practice within the state, and then activate it along with prescriptive privileges when one assumes a new position (same with DEA)?  Anyone care to enlighten me?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. I dared to ask TAPA why we never bothered to ask the TMB why they wouldn't allow one to register for this once licensed to practice since it ultimately is based on authorization of the SP anyway (first time I had ever contacted them with an inquiry)? You could at least have the DPS portion completed and then file for the DEA number once employed. This was during my concurrent inquiry as to how SB406 directly benefited US as PA's. Seems to benefit the physician but I don't see how it helps me that much. Shockingly the response was mumbo-jumbo without a concise reason (actually, there wasn't much of an answer in any form), and was actually provided by their legal team after having been passed off to them from TAPA.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I need a little help. I am a recent graduate and I do not know how to apply for a DEA or a DPS licence.

I have not receieved my perminant or temporary license from the TMB yet. It is still being processed.

But as I am looking for jobs a lot of the places ask for a DPS and a DEA license and I am confused about how to get one?

Can someone please help me. Step by Step explainations would be greatly appreciated because I am really confused/lost about the entire process.

Thank You in advance!!

Hello,

I need a little help. I am a recent graduate and I do not know how to apply for a DEA or a DPS licence.

I have not receieved my perminant or temporary license from the TMB yet. It is still being processed.

But as I am looking for jobs a lot of the places ask for a DPS and a DEA license and I am confused about how to get one?

Can someone please help me. Step by Step explainations would be greatly appreciated because I am really confused/lost about the entire process.

Thank You in advance!!

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/webforms/jsp/regapps/common/newAppLogin.jsp

Can't help with DPS as that's not a NC requirement....

My DPS submission was faxed today from the Dallas VA. I had contacted DPS yesterday to inquire as to how I would be notified when approved? I was told that notification would be sent to the employer since that is the only address on the form. I then asked how I would be made aware of approval since the only contact information for myself was an email address. I was told that I would not be notified by email. As a result, while at the VA today for the first time, I stop by the internal medicine office and advised the contact to keep an eye out for the approval notice. The relevance of this is that one cannot apply for the DEA license until one has received state approval. I still question why one cannot complete this process at the time of initial licensure? One still could not use the DEA number unless one had approval from the supervising physician.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

As a point of reference with regard to my initial question, I submitted my application to Texas DPS on 6/11/14 and the online verification site says that it was "entered" on 6/17/14 (app fee waived since it was for a governmental address).  The DPS number is noted on the confirmation site once you enter your demographic information.  Since there is no email notification, and the only apparent written notification goes to the employer site (not helpful if one isn't working there yet), here is a link to the Texas DPS website where you can check the status of your application, http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/csr/index.aspx

I applied for DEA authorization this morning and was surprised to see that there is a fee waiver process with them as well if you work for a governmental agency.  I don't find anything that it says that it has to be a federal agency, just governmental.  If one selects to have the fee waived, which I did (VA), you have to provide a confirmation contact source should the DEA choose to confirm the employment status.  I was told to list my SP and his contact phone number.  There is also a box that one has to check that states that you have made them aware of their having been listed as the employment confirmation source.

Once I receive my DEA authorization I'll pass along the time table for it as well.  Hope this helps new grads, as well as those like myself who have been out for some time but never needed a controlled substance license.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An additional insight for those who may be about to go through this process.  I called TxDPS this morning to request whatever paperwork they mailed to the VA (assume that it ended up in someone's lunch since it apparently never reached the contact person at the facility) be forwarded to me as well (Catch-22, can't mail it to you initially but we can afterwards....huh?).  Anywho, for those who anticipate working more than one site with a separate employer/SP, TxDPS does require notification (even if private to separate private).  In my case, if I should ever actually start at the VA and then desire to moonlight later, I will be required to go through the entire process all over again, just as a new applicant would (Federal and then adding separate private sector TxDPS/DEA).  I was told that there is no "expedited process" for those currently registered with the state for a separate work location.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

And the good news is that, as of Sept 1, 2016, Texas no longer requires a DPS license...but you must maintain a current DEA license. The purpose of the DPS license was to make it possible for DPS to conduct investigations. As of Sept, 2016, the Texas Pharmacy board is charged with maintaining a database searchable by DPS. One less fee to pay.

Archived