English Prerequisites

The prerequisite course sheet for Western is by far the most rigid that I've filled out and I've got a ton of questions concerning courses. I've been in touch with Mr. Haverkamp, but I feel bad continuing to ask him question after question regarding the prereqs, so I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on here. I know the sheet asks for a college english and an english composition taken in sequence, however the school I attended wasn't set up like this. I did however take an english composition I followed by english composition II, along with several college level englishes, such as technical writing. Will this suffice? If so, which combination? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

My personal experience leads me to believe you need to be careful with English for Western. I have a bachelor's and a master's degree in theatre, and I was asked to retake English 101 because they did not feel that any of my coursework was sufficient. I took multiple upper division dramatic work analysis classes and also wrote a 50 page thesis, but they didn't like any of those.

I know this probably isn't very helpful. I would get in touch with the admissions people to make sure you're covered.

I had the same English prerequisite problem. I called Western and they were VERY strict on their requirements and told me to refer to their database for further questions. You could petition your class to see if it will get approved but I think that chance ended in July. Needless to say, I had to rush and applied for a GE level english class because my upper division one did not count. (Sucks) I would call the admission office, tell them your story and see what they say. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best is my best advice. Good luck!!

For some reason my school isn't part of the prerequisite database. However, I talked to The admission's counselor and got an answer. They are allowing me to use English composition I to satisfy the college English requirement and then technical writing to satisfy the English composition requirement... Can't say it makes a ton of sense, but it's great news nonetheless. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Archived