Misconception about a PA Doctorate

Guest Paula

Lynchburg's program will be a good one.  I don't know the cost but might consider it.  I know the program director and he has the passion to make this an excellent program.  

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comparing ourselves to others doesn't really advance our profession. Sure, it is an outlet for frustration. However, it reads like we are sore losers. Yes, we have had our behinds handed to us by NPs. We have been arguing a line of reasoning that goes something like this; group a has toy x because of group a's inherent value, group b does not have toy x and wants it too. if group b proves that it is better than group a, then group b inherently deserves toy x. Logically, it makes sense but our practice independence rights won't be won by demonstrating a mastery of the theory of proof. This is a game of politics. Politics is about power, money and influence. Our strategy must begin anew to focus on gaining more power, increasing our wealth and influencing others. We need professional help. Help with organizing; help with fundraising; help with disassembling APPA; help with extracting the teeth of the NCCPA, help with messaging, help with targeting those who influence; help with media. I admire the work of PAFT but we need a broader based, harder hitting, well defined, well crafted strategy with specific professional objections for our profession. Stop acting as if you want to get a better job. Act as if you want a better party (think of great achievements of Republican and Democratic parties; think of achievements of DOs). The days of someone finding a disparaging report or article and someone else writing a letter must end. That kind of behavior is the equivalent of America being attacked in every city by Isis and the government responds with "a stern warning to the terrorist." The language here is appropriate. The ruling elite do not wish for our profession to advance any more than the 19th century plantation owner wanted to teach his slaves to read and write. We must fight back with ferocity. I don't think you realize that physicians are sitting in quiet rooms with politicians disparaging our profession while returning to the clinic immediately after and telling us to maintain a professional decorum of collegiality. Recognize the terrorist among you and start thinking how our profession can fight back against them.

Guest Paula

We know physicians sit with politicians every time we put a bill forth to advance our practices legally.  We see the "I love PAs" (but don't you dare try to become independent") OR ELSE frequently.  Physicians stand and oppose us at legislative hearings.  

Doctorate programs that will equip PAs to become leaders will help us and I believe there is a gathering storm and momentum where PAs will gain independence - autonomy- be able to prescribe without a delegated agreement - but the storm needs more wind.

Join PAFT, AAPA, AFPPA, your state chapter,etc. and give us your money.  Those of us who do the work wouldn't mind so much if you at least support the effort with $$$$$$$ and please realize that the there is a strategy to move us out of slavery, but we need EVERYONE's help.

The key is to teach PAs to not be afraid and to hatch out of the egg of passivity. 

Archived