Accepted - class entering 2014

Did you apply to AT STILL? Or the AT Still fast track Indian program? Also when did you submit your supplemental application? And did you have any pre-reqs that you needed to finish still?

Yes, the PA program is part of the Arizona School of Health Sciences at A.T. Still University. I applied to the regular program. CASPA submitted early May. Supplemental/secondary submitted in mid June. I did not have any pre-reqs that still needed to be finished. It was my first round of applying. I was going to apply last year but I felt that taking an extra year for more work experience, volunteering with the underserved, shadowing PA's, additional coursework beyond the pre-reqs, etc would make me a much more competitive applicant. Also my wife had a significant job promotion and we had our second baby recently, so now would not have been a good time to be starting PA school. Next year is much better!

CASPA submitted in like mid to late May. Supplemental was like maybe a month later. No pre-reqs outstanding either. That is not an issue with ATSU though as I know of 3 first year students that I took Biochem with that were accepted upon completion of that one class. However, it's advised that you finish them prior to applying.

With ATSU, you need to have the following (from my experience):

- Strong academics

- Strong experience

- Strong commitment to serving the underserved (not doing volunteer work at a hospital)

- Strong LOR's

Hope that helps.

I also received the phone call Monday. Now if only I can put a face to you two, rcreek and uscbigdawg. I was in the second row, closer to the front (blonde).

I agree with uscbigdawg:

- Strong academics

- Strong experience

- Strong commitment to serving the underserved (not doing volunteer work at a hospital)

- Strong LOR's

Similar to rcreek, I also did additional course work, including (which I am still in the process of doing) obtaining my Masters in Public Health. My passion is deeply rooted in serving the underserved which fits the mission of the program.

If I could give another piece of advise, not only would it be to pay close attention to what uscbigdawg and rcreek highlighted on, but also I would emphasize on applying early. I applied in April.

Caseacakes - I was the big guy at the end of the third row. It's been a VERY long and agonizing couple of days trying to decide between the two programs (so far) that I've been accepted to. I love both for very specific reasons, which doesn't make it any easier. Add in familial wants, moving vs. not moving, etc. and it just gets really complex.

Like Caseacakes said, I'll reitterate and cannot emphasize enough the importance of submitting early!

uscbigdawg- Yes, I remember you, you were also in my tour group.

The hard part about this process is the deadlines in getting back to the programs. That is definitely a hard position to be in. When it comes down to it, there are a lot of different factors that contribute to making the final decision.

I have always love the support shared amongst the faculty and students at AT Still and it's the reason why this program is my number one choice for school. I am also excited about the changes made to the program.

When do you have to make your decision for the other program by?

• 2 weeks later...

I will do that here shortly. I did that for UT-HSC, but will do one as well for our folks for ATSU. Keep in mind that apparently there's a forum for just ATSU kids for everything. For instance, we'll likely be looking to rent out one of the bedrooms in our 3BR house to an ATSU student. That'll get posted for sure.

Decision made. Staying close to home.
I only have until the 10th to make a decision about this program... I find myself waffling solely because of the accreditation issue. I received two other early acceptances and still waiting to hear from some other schools that don't have rolling admissions. Honestly, this ranks as one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made!

To those of you accepted how long after you received your verbal acceptance did you receive the paperwork? Did they mail or email it to you? How long did AT Still give you to make decision? Thanks. I was called last Thursday and told I'd been accepted into program, I have interview with NAU tomorrow so just curious.

To those of you accepted how long after you received your verbal acceptance did you receive the paperwork? Did they mail or email it to you? How long did AT Still give you to make decision? Thanks. I was called last Thursday and told I'd been accepted into program, I have interview with NAU tomorrow so just curious.

Jmedic12,

I interviewed August 15th and I received the phone call 4 days later (August 19th). I received the paperwork (via email) August 20th and the deadline they set wasn't till September 10th. I think it was enough time.

Archived