My Daughter Needs a Job

My daughter just finished her BS in biology and is living in Minneapolis. She has aspirations of either going to PA school or nursing and then NP. Her ultimate goal is to work in the developing world. Right now she is interesting in getting some basic health care job (receptionist in a medical office, etc.). This forum was very helpful last summer when she needed housing in Juneau. Someone here gave me a lead that led to her house-sitting for free for a large house while she worked there. So I thought I would try my luck again. She is a wonderful gal, 4.0 student (I know I'm her father and biased) and she would make a great worker. She worked for my office in the past and I wish I could lure her back here, but I can't.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Scribe is a good suggestion, however I would consider multiple factors first. Some scribes learn more than others. In some cases the scribe never enters the room and the physician tells them what to write when returning from the pt room to the desk. This is less beneficial than a scribe position where there is some patient interaction involved. At a good location the MD will mentor the scribe and be willing to explain things which is great. However it is still not considered direct hands on care by many many schools. It is a job that is gaining some recognition as of late but in reality learning though processes isn't that valuable IMHO because thats what PA school is for and most will barely scratch the surface. I would recommend EMT or CNA. I am a CNA on an ortho floor and I have many responsibilities and actually have to interact with patients and actually touch them! learning those types of skills are very valuable and PA schools know this. If she is an EMT or a CNA she will have many more options for schools to apply for. But I will say I am a bit surprised to see someones dad asking questions for them... She should take more initiative herself it sounds like. Best of luck moving forward

My daughter just finished her BS in biology and is living in Minneapolis. She has aspirations of either going to PA school or nursing and then NP. Her ultimate goal is to work in the developing world. Right now she is interesting in getting some basic health care job (receptionist in a medical office, etc.). This forum was very helpful last summer when she needed housing in Juneau. Someone here gave me a lead that led to her house-sitting for free for a large house while she worked there. So I thought I would try my luck again. She is a wonderful gal, 4.0 student (I know I'm her father and biased) and she would make a great worker. She worked for my office in the past and I wish I could lure her back here, but I can't.

Do a short medical assistant training program, get a job working in a primary care clinic.

She will get a lot of exposure and actually do things.

Scribes just shadow, input into records. All observation.

As for developing world work in the future, there are some on this forum that have investigated this in depth. Some organizations have restrictions because host country does not recognize PAs but NP can go as a nurse. No restrictions on physicians doing work in developing world usually which is a consideration being a 4.0 student with a BS.

Not trying to open the usual can of worms, should I do MD or PA or NP.

Can save that for a future post?.

Good luck to her.

GB PA-C

Archived