FMG immigrating to USA. PA queries

Hello everybody, I am a FMG OBGYN graduated in 1991 immigrating to USA in September. Considering my age USMLE was never an option and PA is something i am looking forward too. I dont have financial constraints so i can afford the 2 year program.

Here are my queries:

1) What pre-requisites do i need? Would my experience as an OBGYN count?

2) What is the earliest i can join?

3) Do they accept FMGs especially programs in illinois and surrounding states.

4) And anything else i need to know?

I have emailed few colleges but all i get is robotic responses. I would like clear info on the topic as reading on internet has confused me a lot.

I also read about Certified surgical assistant and that i can directly apply for certification without studying for 2 years if i have proper first hand surgical experience. Is it true?

Would appreciate your help.

You will probably learn more when you get here next month and can visit a PA program.

I have heard of other FMGs going through PA programs; our practice interviewed one a few months ago. The prerequisites vary a bit program to program, but you can easily find them listed on each program's website. At least some schools have a requirement that at least some of the prerequisites have to have been taken within the last so many years, which might require your retaking some of them. Again, it is best to talk with the schools that you are interested in.

PA programs start at different times of the year and there is an application process. Many of them use CASPA, which is an application service that collects your records and shares them with the schools you would like to apply to. You would likely be applying to start in 2014, assuming you don't have to repeat prerequisites, which I suspect you will have to do because you have been out of school for over 20 years. I had been out of school for 30 years and had to retake one term of chemistry (I had already taken organic and biochem recently) and some others before I could apply.

I know nothing about the surgical assistant option.

Another option -- especially if you want to stay in OB/GYN -- is a 3 year nurse practitioner program that takes students with the prerequisites and a BS degree. I have a few friends who did that and it seemed to work for them.

Good luck!

Thank you for the quick response :)

Its actually difficult mentally to waste 2 years studying what you have actually mastered over the course of 20-25 years.

Regarding NP, I heard that the scope of practice is better then PA. Is this true?

Also it needs BS degree, I assume my MD would do? I m 48 now. Will be 49 by the time i start studying for whatever I decide. :|

Is there any other alternative i can look for? Preferably in the field of medicine.

I guess i will have to visit the colleges for a better insight. :)

Also what are the job prospects for a PA?

One more thing. How much time do pre-reqs take to complete? I mean i already know all about basic anatomy and stuff.

PS : Is it okay if i PM you?

My strong suggestion is that when you get to the states find a few PA's to shadow. If you get an interview at a PA program you will have to speak about what PA's do....how you fit in with this model

If you merely show up thinking this will be a walk in the park because you are a doctor you may find yourself without a seat. Grades are important, experience is important, attitude is important.

First convince yourself that you want to be a PA, then convince your interviewers.

Thank you for the quick response smile.gif

Its actually difficult mentally to waste 2 years studying what you have actually mastered over the course of 20-25 years.

Regarding NP, I heard that the scope of practice is better then PA. Is this true? In some states, yes. They are trying to be independent practitioners, rather than dependent ones like we are. From a practical standpoint, there is little difference. I suspect that NPs are encountered more often in OB/GYN than PAs and you would have an edge looking for a job there.

Also it needs BS degree, I assume my MD would do? I m 48 now. Will be 49 by the time i start studying for whatever I decide. :| I suspect your MD will satisfy the BS. 49 isn't old; I turned 58 the day before I started PA school.

Is there any other alternative i can look for? Preferably in the field of medicine. I don't know.

I guess i will have to visit the colleges for a better insight. smile.gif

Also what are the job prospects for a PA? The prospects that I read are very good; it is one of the top ten growing professions. On the other hand, there are more programs every year and I do wonder if that will depress salaries at some point. Maybe not in our working lifetimes though.

One more thing. How much time do pre-reqs take to complete? I mean i already know all about basic anatomy and stuff. I am not sure which ones you will be asked to repeat. In my case, I had to do just a few that I had taken before in statistics, chemistry, and psychology. I did, however, have to take everything else for the first time because I was an engineer and had never had much biology in school. Talking with an academic advisor in a PA program might clear some of this up for you.

PS : Is it okay if i PM you? Sure.

• 2 months later...

I disappeared !

We  had  made a decision to postpone immigration by few months. It's december now !!

I have applied to be certified in surgical assistant via www.absa.net just as a backup plan.

I even came accross a 18 month program for nursing degree by Florida International University.

Here it is : http://cnhs.fiu.edu/nursing/undergraduate_foreign_admission.html and i can even be a NP if i choose the 3 year MSN program.

I am still inclined towards PA. My niece is a PA and i think it's better for me then RN and i read somewhere that they can partially waive the didatic part of PA studies for me.

I wish USA waives the residency requirements for foreign trained MDs atleast to provide services in primary care after the implementation of Obamacare. Current system of getting people to study what they have been doing since years is kind of redundant according to me.

It seems like you're simply looking fora back door into the US medical system. I don't think you'll be happy as a PA from me reading your responses and concerns. I don't think you'll take well to being an "underling" to a physician here. It's a whole different mind set to be a PA. You really have to introspect about this and not take it lightly. Maybe being a rural primary care PA might suit you with autonomy, but hospital medicine will likely frustrate you considering you are a doc with years of experience. I can't blame you,, but you need to check that at the border if you want to be a successful candidate for a program. How about nurse midwife :-P. NP isn't a horrible idea either. There's a good chance you could get right into one of those programs, or at least quicker than PA..

It seems like you're simply looking fora back door into the US medical system. I don't think you'll be happy as a PA from me reading your responses and concerns. I don't think you'll take well to being an "underling" to a physician here. It's a whole different mind set to be a PA. You really have to introspect about this and not take it lightly. Maybe being a rural primary care PA might suit you with autonomy, but hospital medicine will likely frustrate you considering you are a doc with years of experience. I can't blame you,, but you need to check that at the border if you want to be a successful candidate for a program. How about nurse midwife :-P. NP isn't a horrible idea either. There's a good chance you could get right into one of those programs, or at least quicker than PA..

I agree with you on the first sentence.I think anyone would want that.I dont want to study much again. I dont find it enticing to study something i already know nor would anyone in my place. I have 2 kids to support,one in final year of medical school and other just started his dental school. Regarding working as an underling to a physician here, i dont think i mind it much and i dont have the luxury to choose what i want my position in the hospital to be :)  . I actually have been looking into CNM and NP. I like them tbh. But to be a NP i need a BS in Nursing.

I came across an accelerated program in BSN/MSN by Florida International University through which i can be a NP in 3 years or a RN in 18 months.

I am planning to get certified first for Surgical Assistant through www.absa.net and meanwhile explore my options in being a PA/RN/NP.

I just wish it was not this difficult for foreign doctors to practice in USA atleast in primary care. USA could actually use our services in primary care atleast

I just wish it was not this difficult for foreign doctors to practice in USA atleast in primary care. USA could actually use our services in primary care atleast

I find a few problems with what you are saying. First, just because you practiced in OB/GYN does not mean you won't have to study to do well in a PA program. A PA program is not the easy way out to practicing medicine. Second, you are going to find out it's going to take several years to finish the combined prerequisites and PA program at a minimum, which is just as long as completing an internal medicine residency program and becoming a doctor. The trick is to pass the USMLE with a high enough score and get accepted for residency.

There will not be any shortcuts for FMGs to PA in the future IMHO. That was tried years ago in California, and the FMGs did not do very well as PAs. The outcome was the requirement to graduate from an accredited program in order to be a PA, no shortcuts.

Consider the Stanford PA program. I have a friend who went there and there were a few FMGs similar to your situation in her class. It's an accelerated/shorter program (18 months I believe, could be wrong) and I think it could be a good fit for someone like you. Also, a PA I worked with went there; she was a practicing Neurologist in Russia prior to immigrating here.

My aunt immigrated here a few years ago and she was about the same age as you with 2 kids in college/grad school. She was an Ob/Gyn back in her home country and had a very successful practice. She did her USMLE and residency and recently started as a family practice physician. It was really tough for her, especially since she's in her 50s but she was pretty determined and is glad she did it. Also something to consider.

I wouldn't go the nursing route if I were in your position. The schooling to eventually become an NP would be more than if you just did a residency here to practice as a physician. I think it would be too difficult to shift from being an independent practitioner to starting IVs, cleaning poop, and dispensing meds. I love my nurses and here in CA they get paid about double what I do, but I wouldn't want their job at all.

I find a few problems with what you are saying. First, just because you practiced in OB/GYN does not mean you won't have to study to do well in a PA program. A PA program is not the easy way out to practicing medicine. Second, you are going to find out it's going to take several years to finish the combined prerequisites and PA program at a minimum, which is just as long as completing an internal medicine residency program and becoming a doctor. The trick is to pass the USMLE with a high enough score and get accepted for residency.

There will not be any shortcuts for FMGs to PA in the future IMHO. That was tried years ago in California, and the FMGs did not do very well as PAs. The outcome was the requirement to graduate from an accredited program in order to be a PA, no shortcuts.

The last statement was regarding having to repeat the entire residency. I know FMGs to PA is not going to happen. I have come across that article you posted the link to.

I have been told by people that passing USMLE at this age is vague and they never prefer the old age out of school physicians.

Consider the Stanford PA program. I have a friend who went there and there were a few FMGs similar to your situation in her class. It's an accelerated/shorter program (18 months I believe, could be wrong) and I think it could be a good fit for someone like you. Also, a PA I worked with went there; she was a practicing Neurologist in Russia prior to immigrating here.

My aunt immigrated here a few years ago and she was about the same age as you with 2 kids in college/grad school. She was an Ob/Gyn back in her home country and had a very successful practice. She did her USMLE and residency and recently started as a family practice physician. It was really tough for her, especially since she's in her 50s but she was pretty determined and is glad she did it. Also something to consider.

I wouldn't go the nursing route if I were in your position. The schooling to eventually become an NP would be more than if you just did a residency here to practice as a physician. I think it would be too difficult to shift from being an independent practitioner to starting IVs, cleaning poop, and dispensing meds. I love my nurses and here in CA they get paid about double what I do, but I wouldn't want their job at all.

I will take a look at it. The reason i m more inclined towards PA is i believe i can do more justice to my education and my patients if i am a PA rather then a RN.

http://fep.fiu.edu/ 

I can be a NP in 3 years if i get accepted in that program.

Do you know anything regarding job prospects for Surgical Assistants? I am most probably gonna live in Texas and i hear the state recognises SA-C.

Regarding USMLE. I dont know. I feel there are more chances to be disappointed if i go through that route but it's without doubt the best thing possible.

Archived