Review Courses

I will be finishing PA school soon (early February), and because my education has been tumultuous and I'm not feeling too certain of my knowledge base, I'm considering a PANCE review course before I take the exam (no date set yet).

Some twitter friends have recommended the CME Resources Review course as being the best out there. It isn't cheap, and I'd have to wait a month after graduation and fly to Dallas to do it, but if it's the best out there, that's what I'll do.

I see that Kaplan has a cheaper online course, but they don't have any dates listed on their website that will work for me since I'm in school for another month.

What do members of this forum recommend? Do I shell out the dough and wait the month for the course that comes more highly recommended by my peers? Do I hope that KAPLAN will decide to schedule another PANCE course in February?

Thoughts?

Congratulations, Medicated! I just graduated; you're almost there.

I don't think I'm the one to answer your questions directly, all I can do is tell you that I'm using the online questions from the AAPA book, Kaplan online questions, and the Datachem questions. I'm remembering a lot, and learning a lot as well (the Kaplan questions are roughly half and half PA to MD ratio, in my opinion). What I am noticing is that when I go back to the AAPA questions, they seem miles easier compared to the Kaplan set! I learn and study well on my own, and these programs teach you as you go along, by giving explanations for all the answers to a question (why the right one is right and why the wrong ones are wrong). Kaplan is set up with options, so that you can choose to test only on the ones you previously got wrong, or move on to a new set of questions. At this point, I'm hopping back and forth from AAPA to Kaplan, 5 questions from one, then 5 from the other ... blending the strengths, as it were.

Saturday I'm going to read the AAPA book front to back, and hopefully the Pearls of Wisdom book as well (which is endorsed by the past Pres of the AAPA). It's of a different format, where the AAPA book is very outlined (disease, how it presents, treatment, etc), each chapter is comprised of rapid-fire single questions with single answers. This? That. You can read it fast, it's nicely put together.

Then it's back to questions. I've been setting my alarm early and literally rising, grabbing my laptop and churning out questions until it's night (well, I break for food and gym, but not much else). I figure the more questions I can get through, the better grip I'm going to have on what really impressed on my brain during the board review courses I attended ... look for key words. That advice is really proving golden. Of course, sometimes there are distractors which make you say 'who nelly, hold on here a minute', but for the most part it's all been pretty up front.

Whatever road you choose, choose what works best for you. If you work best alone (since it's going to be just you, your knowledge, and the computer during the test), then maybe the online question approach will work for you. If instead you learn better in a classroom-structured presentation, do that. But either way, get some of the questions banks, they are truly helpful.

Thanks for the reply, Hemegroup.

You mentioned that you attended board review courses... which one(s)?

Have you ever used the ExamMaster questions? What is your opinion of them? I have access to them for free through my school and I have been using them. They also have explanations why right answers are right and wrong answers are wrong.

In the interest of time and money, I think I'm going to try Emory's DVD review course for $150. Hopefully it will serve me well.

My program put them on, I didn't personally find them too useful although any review is good review. Still, this test is a certain beast and I want to train for it in a certain way. Key words, my friend, key words.

I also have access to ExamMaster through my program, I'm just not a fan. I find those questions to be largely inappropriate. The AAPA and Kaplan questions are light years better, imo. Good luck with the Emory DVD, it looks good, but I would also advise that you try and use multiple sources.

Here's a thread that helped shed some light: http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29290&p=278312&highlight=#post278312

Now I'm seriously considering going to the CME resources conference in Denver in early March. It's expensive as heck, but I think it might be worth it for me since I feel like my knowledge base is so shaky. I think I'll still do Emory too before I take my school's summative exam.

*sigh* why does this have to be so complicated?

When are you taking PANCE?

I take it in just under 2 weeks, starting to feel really psyched! The Emory course sounds like a great review before your Summative. I used the AAPA book and passed mine; wherever you can find storehouses of knowledge at the PA level, then you'll be good. And I agree about the CME course, sounds like it would be perfect before the PANCE. I wish I could do it, but the test is scheduled (and the funds are tapped), so into the fire I go. If I don't pass the first time, I'll take the CME course for sure.

I decided that I'm going to do both Emory for my summative, and CME Resources for the PANCE and my overall self-confidence. I really need to beef up my confidence levels before I can go out and practice.

I understand on the money thing. I'm borrowing from a friend to make this happen. :/

I also have the AAPA book. I like it. I've gone through most of it, but that was several months ago, and I've forgotten much of it. I need to re-read it.

So, This rotation goes from Jan 3 - Feb 4th, then I have my summative exam (date TBD), then the CME Resources course March 2-6th in Denver, CO, and then I'll be taking the PANCE March 9th at 8am. March 9th seems like a long ways away, but I'm sure it will be here in no time.

Best wishes to you as you take the PANCE in a couple of weeks! You can do it! :)

Archived