I have not been to Guam, but I worked on the islands of Saipan and Tinian just to the east of Guam. The weather is either hot or hot and wet. Occassional typhoons and even had a sunami warning. My understanding of Guam is that it is much more americanized then the islands I was on. Lots of american shopping and restraunts. I have a friend that I used to work with on Saipan that moved over to Guam and based on some comments I've read on facebook, they are much happier there. Where will you be working?

I have not been to Guam, but I worked on the islands of Saipan and Tinian just to the east of Guam. The weather is either hot or hot and wet. Occassional typhoons and even had a sunami warning. My understanding of Guam is that it is much more americanized then the islands I was on. Lots of american shopping and restraunts. I have a friend that I used to work with on Saipan that moved over to Guam and based on some comments I've read on facebook, they are much happier there. Where will you be working?

I will be working at ExpressCare Gaum, which is a urgent care type family practice, specializing in derm. I even saw another job ad that they are opening a new hospital there in 2014. I have read lots about it and it sounds like it would be a great experience esp. Since my fiance and I are outdoorsy people. The dr. tells me the cost of living is more thanthe states, but less than hawaii. Thanks for your input!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Have you lived in Hawaii before? Not about working there, but a lot of mainlanders who move to Hawai'i get "island fever" after a year or 2. You can't just hop in your car and drive anywhere, you're limited to what's on your island. The culture on the islands... Well for many people it's a love it or hate it thing.

Alaska is pretty much the same thing (Anchorage isn't Alaska... but you can see it from there) except without the nice weather.

• 7 months later...

Archived