back to 24 hr shifts...

haven't done a 24 since I was a medic 20 years ago and have a new per diem rural job that is 12s or 24's.

really sweet gig. solo coverage, rural/critical access hospital. paramedic base station. low volume/high acuity. avg 12 pts/24 hrs. They have an on call room so I can sleep when it's slow and they feed me lunch/dinner for free. I've been getting a shift or 2/mo and hoping that as they get to know me I can work up to 4 shifts/mo or so and cut back at my urban/inner city job which tends to be high volume with much lower acuity. have only done day shift 12s so far and have my first 24 coming up followed by a swing the next day at my regular job(which I am desperately trying to get rid of on the off chance I have a busy night).

I'm sure it will be fine...I wish you were credentialed already as I have a few shifts with your name all over them..nice job with the ulnar block and boxers fx reduction by the way.

let me know when you interview and I will make every effort to be there.

I've done a lot of doubles the last few years(which works out to 17 hrs) so honestly not too worried about doing a 24.

yup, long shifts can be rough if you are busy. I used to do 24s as a medic with a schedule of 1 on/1 off/1 on/1 off/1 on/4 off then repeat. if I picked up an overtime shift sometimes I was on for 72 hrs at a time. sometimes it was easy money, some times not so much....

the first 24 went very well. 12 pts, mostly in the first 12 hrs with the sickest 3 all there at the same time. probably half arrived by ambulance. admitted one. wanted to admit a second but he signed out ama(with likely urosepsis!) because I wouldn't let him drink beer in the hospital....

got off at 8 am, went home for a little nap then worked a swing shift at my regular job and saw 16 in 8 hrs....much prefer the 24 hr shifts and will try to get more of these and decrease my hrs at the primary job to the min to keep benefits.

• 1 year later...

Couple of questions for those that do these shifts, as I have never interacted with any provider that does these. So 12 patients, some sick. Do you hang out in the department in between? Hang out in the on call room on a laptop? Is there excercise facilties? Showers? They provide food, but surely at a facility of this size they don't have a 24 hour cafeteria, right? Always pack food then, I imagine? Are you responsible for codes on the floor?

My only point of reference is the fire service and flight crews, and I doubt thats very similiar to working in an actual hospital, no matter how small.

Do you ever string together two 24s and knock out a whole weekend? I have heard anecdotes of 72 hour shifts in extremely slow locations (1-3 flights a day, etc).

Couple of questions for those that do these shifts, as I have never interacted with any provider that does these. So 12 patients, some sick. Do you hang out in the department in between? Hang out in the on call room on a laptop? Is there excercise facilties? Showers? They provide food, but surely at a facility of this size they don't have a 24 hour cafeteria, right? Always pack food then, I imagine? Are you responsible for codes on the floor?

My only point of reference is the fire service and flight crews, and I doubt thats very similiar to working in an actual hospital, no matter how small.

Do you ever string together two 24s and knock out a whole weekend? I have heard anecdotes of 72 hour shifts in extremely slow locations (1-3 flights a day, etc).

still working there. averaging 1-2 shifts/mo and wanting more. there tomorrow in fact.

I generally hang out in the dept. The call room is 50 feet away so some folks go there to watch TV, nap, etc. I try to just nap after 2300 when it generally is slow. the call room has a full bathroom with shower, fridge, microwave, Keurig, etc. No exercise stuff. free meals during regular meal hours. can bring food or order pizza for delivery, etc

I cover codes on the floor after hours. during the day there is an on-call hospitalist who takes care of admitted pts only. If they are not around it's all me. I have not done longer than 24 there but would do 36 or 48 if asked. it's a bit busy for 72 given the high acuity mix.

There are a lot of different schemes out there.

I work in 9 different hospitals.

The busiest two have a call room with tv & bathroom. They want me IN the hospital for entire shift.

Some put me up at a hotel right next to hospital, while others put me up in a hospital owned/rented house a few blocks away. These hospitals have a 15-30 minute requirement.

I think I have it scheduled to work a 72 hour shift every OTHER week (Tues-friday mornings) at a moderately busy rural ED (3500 visits a year). This gives me 11 days off in a row every two weeks, including every weekend.

Somebody pinch me!

Archived