Where you do undergrad matter??

Hello,

I need you guys' thoughts on my situation.

I go to a special high school where all students dual-enroll college and high school. So, I will be getting my Associate's in Science and high school diploma in April and June respectively (yes I will be graduating from community college before I get my high school diploma). I have a 3.9 high school GPA and a perfect 4.0 college GPA.

I've known I wanted to become a PA since I was a sophomore so I've been taking my pre-reqs already(Human Anatomy, Human Dev., Stats, etc) My thing is, I got offered by University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff on a basketball scholarship...the right choice would be to take that route since it's a full ride. But I am worried it's not a GREAT school. I mean it's known for it's band and sports, but I've never heard anything about its' academics.

So do schools really look at where you do your undergrad? I will be in their honors college...but it's a 2.0 requirement.(not that prestigious) I know I will do great wherever I go, I'm just worried schools will be looking at where I completed my undergrad, especially because they need people badly in their STEM program too(which I will be in). I'm also unsure if the opportunities will be available such as internship opportunities, etc as well. Anyone ever went to UAPB...or from Arkansas at all and know anything about the school?

P.S-Im from Michigan and been applying to schools that have the PA program or is known for its' academics. I am waiting on my acceptance letter and scholarship awards. Should I just wait until I see what school accept me and give me money, or just go to UAPB?

Thanks

The most important thing for you to focus on at this juncture is having a great gpa, which sounds very attainable at UAPB. Having a free ride now would be great cause PA school ain't cheap! Where you got your degree doesn't seem to matter much, as long as you do challenge yourself rather than coast through. (It doesn't sound like you would enjoy underachieving anyway!) Challenge yourself by taking upper level bio and chem classes, even ones that aren't prerequisites but would show your desire to learn and work hard. You can also shadow, volunteer, and work on attaining hands on patient care hours so you'll be a prime candidate by the time you apply to PA school. You're the only one that knows what's best for you, so you might want to see what other doors open for you and decide from there! Good luck!

JCofield,

For what it's worth, I went to smaller 4 year university that is essentially unknown once you're outside of a 40 mile radius. I received interviews to each of my top schools, and acceptance to two so far. Where I went for my undergrad hasn't come up during any of the interviews, so I personally believe it doesn't matter where you go just as long as you make the grades and have exceptional healthcare experience to stand out from the masses. The same may not hold true for some of the bigger name schools (Duke, Yale, etc). I am patiently waiting to hear back from Yale, so I'll let you know if my little known school got me an interview there haha. I have to ask, if you're still in high school and appear to be doing really well in your undergrad classes at the same time, why not med school?

JCofield,

For what it's worth, I went to smaller 4 year university that is essentially unknown once you're outside of a 40 mile radius. I received interviews to each of my top schools, and acceptance to two so far. Where I went for my undergrad hasn't come up during any of the interviews, so I personally believe it doesn't matter where you go just as long as you make the grades and have exceptional healthcare experience to stand out from the masses. The same may not hold true for some of the bigger name schools (Duke, Yale, etc). I am patiently waiting to hear back from Yale, so I'll let you know if my little known school got me an interview there haha. I have to ask, if you're still in high school and appear to be doing really well in your undergrad classes at the same time, why not med school?

That makes me feel a lot better! If you don't mind me asking where did u apply and get accepted to? I get asked that a lot and I'm still considering it.

Archived